Current:Home > ContactJapan, UK and Italy formally establish a joint body to develop a new advanced fighter jet -Capitatum
Japan, UK and Italy formally establish a joint body to develop a new advanced fighter jet
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 01:09:19
TOKYO (AP) — The defense ministers of Japan, Britain and Italy on Thursday signed an agreement to establish a joint organization to develop a new advanced jet fighter, as the countries push to bolster their cooperation in the face of growing threats from China, Russia and North Korea.
The three countries had agreed last year to merge earlier individual plans — for Japan’s Mitsubishi F-X to succeed the retiring F-2s developed with the United States and Britain’s Tempest – to produce the new combat aircraft for deployment in 2035.
Japan, which is rapidly building up its military, hopes to have greater capability to counter China’s rising assertiveness and allow Britain a bigger presence in the Indo-Pacific region.
Defense Minister Minoru Kihara at a joint news conference with his British and Italian counterparts, Grant Shapps and Guido Crosett, said that co-developing a high performance fighter aircraft is “indispensable to securing air superiority and enabling effective deterrence” at a time Japan faces an increasingly severe security environment.
Kihara said no individual nation can defend itself today, adding that securing the technology and funding to develop an advanced fighter jet involves large risks. The joint trilateral Global Combat Air Program is a “historic program,” he said, that enables the three countries to work together to create a new fighter jet while reducing risks.
Under the plan, a joint body called the International Government Organization will manage the private sector joint venture — which includes Japan’s Mitsubishi Heavy, Britain’s BAE Systems PLC and Italy’s Leonardo — to oversee the aircraft’s development. The organization is tasked with distributing work in different areas, such as the engine and avionics.
The organization, known as GIGO, will be headquartered in Britain and headed by a Japanese official, and the joint venture will be led by an Italian representative, Kihara said. The top posts will rotate every few years, Japanese defense officials said.
Japan is moving ahead despite delayed approval at home to ease its current policy that bans the export of lethal weapons. The restriction under Japan’s postwar pacifist Constitution does not allow the country to sell a jointly developed fighter jet and possibly complicates the project, since Britain and Italy hope to be able to sell the new combat aircraft.
A Japanese government panel has been discussing the easing of military sales and agreed to relax restrictions on the transfer of licensed technology and equipment. But it recently postponed a decision on easing the policy for the joint fighter jet until early next year.
Defense officials refused to discuss how the situation would possibly affect the joint project.
The project is the first time Japan will participate in a multinational organization to jointly develop new military equipment.
To counter growing threats from China, North Korea and Russia, Japan has been expanding its defense partnerships with countries in Europe, Southeast Asia and the Indo-Pacific, including Australia and the Philippines.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- A Nebraska bill to subject librarians to charges for giving ‘obscene material’ to children fails
- Kyle Richards Weighs in on Family Drama Between Mauricio Umansky and Paris Hilton
- United Steelworkers union endorses Biden, giving him more labor support in presidential race
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- They may not agree on how to define DEI, but that’s no problem for Kansas lawmakers attacking it
- Many Americans want to stop working at 60 and live to 100. Can they afford it?
- United Steelworkers union endorses Biden, giving him more labor support in presidential race
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Judge rejects Apple's request to toss out lawsuit over AirTag stalking
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- March Madness predictions: 7 Cinderella teams that could bust your NCAA Tournament bracket
- Homelessness, affordable-housing shortage spark resurgence of single-room ‘micro-apartments’
- 'Selling Sunset' alum Christine Quinn's husband arrested, faces felony charge
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Stock market today: Asian shares rise after Wall Street rallies to records
- Watch Kim Kardashian Kiss—and Slap—Emma Roberts in Head-Spinning American Horror Story Trailer
- Who is Brian Peck? Ex-Nickelodeon coach convicted of lewd acts with minor back in spotlight
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Mother, 37-year-old man arrested after getting involved in elementary school fight: Reports
Angela Chao, Mitch McConnell’s sister-in-law, was drunk when she drove into pond, police say
Drake Bell Responds to Backlash Over Costar Josh Peck's Silence on Quiet on Set Docuseries
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
New York lawmakers expand fracking ban to include liquid carbon dioxide
Presbyterian earns first March Madness win in First Four: No. 1 South Carolina up next
Judge dismisses sexual assault suit brought by Chicago police officer against superintendent